Overview of Game
- The game is played over five rounds using five personal dice to take actions as you retrace the steps of Marco Polo in his 1271-1275 journey.
- Tons of variability due to tactical dice selection and placement. Wish there were more characters in the box, and perhaps a legacy expansion or add-on that increases
- Weight: 3.2/5
- Score: 7.9/10
- Best Player Counts: 4
- Simone Luciani, Daniele Tascini
- Dice Placement
- Set Collection
- Contract Fulfilment
- Based on the 4 year journey of Marco Polo through Jerusalem, Mesopotamia and through the “Silk Road” to the court of Kublai Khan
- Gain the most VPs by:
- Contract fulfillment
- Secret city cards
- Game play objectives
- We have the original 2015 edition which can with a substantial amount of wood, including custom shaped spice bags, silk, gold bars and camels in two sizes. In addition wood dice with rounded corners, hut markers and meeples are provided in each player colour.
- The artwork on the main gameboard and player boards are fitting for the theme and are of high quality. There are a number of cards and tiles that are a combination of cardstock and sturdy cardboard.
The games variability is based on the variety of the following components:
- Characters (special powers)
- Dynamic Game Board
- City Action Tiles (printed as cards and change location each game)
- Variety of contracts
Board Game Replayability Rating
- Based on 28 plays
- Depending on the values rolled and your opponent the actions you are able to take each round may be limited and change each round.
- The strategy you choose each game will be influenced by the contracts that come out each round, your special powers (based on your character) and the secret city cards you receive at the beginning of the game.
- The game could benefit from additional equally waited character powers. That being said there are additional characters in the new Marco Polo II